Who would have known that I'd love real estate this much. I certainly did not! Yes I knew I would find it interesing but little did I know that it would be so much more. For far longer than I like to remember friends had suggested to me that I think about getting into real estate. Well, I had thought about it. Many times but I always felt that it would have too much of a negative impact on my family. Now I'm talking back in the seventies and early eighties. Not quite the dark ages but that was quite a while ago.
It was not until the youngest of my three children started college that I felt the time was right and boy did I jump in. Although I had toyed with it in the back of my mind and suspected that at some time, when I thought it was the right time, I would get around to getting my license and begin a new career.
Little did I realize at that time, even after thinking about doing it for so long, that I would find it fitting my personality so well. If someone had told me how quickly I would take to it it would have been very difficult to have put it off for so long. I had no idea, nor did anyone tell me, how much I would love it. Perhaps no one told me because everyone has to find out for themselves if it is the right fit for them.
NO WONDER I LOVE REAL ESTATE AT LAKE ANNA
- loves problem solving
- enjoys variety
- welcomes challenges
- is comfortable working with people
- believes in education...and then more education
- is pro-active
- tends to be independent
- is willing to share
- enjoys mentoring
- has a creative streak
- handles dealing with ambiguity (well you may not love it but you certainly have to deal with it at times)
- is definitely a self-starter
- has understanding and appreciates people's likes and dislikes
- thrives in acceptance but can handle rejection (believe it or not...everyone is not going to want to list their house with you nor ask you to help them buy a house no matter how wonderful you are)
- has negotiating skills
- loves a settlement (and the commission that goes along with it) but can bounce back when a deal crashes in spite of doing all that is humanly possible
- believes in teamwork (you are very likely going to be an independent contractor but you will need all the allies you can muster)
- can handle being flexible (sometimes it hurts more than other times but you have to bend more often then you think you will whether it is giving up days off when you really thought you'd earned that time or any number of other things that pop up
- thrives on the "up" feeling you get when your client (buyer or seller) is happy with the transaction
- enjoys driving, especialy if you work with buyers
- loves communicating (vital)
- does not mind paperwork, and
- can handle more than a couple (a dozen?) tasks at a time
then real estate may be the right match.
Little did I know that it took all of these qualities, and more, to produce the successfull career that I have had and continue to have. Real estate as a profession is what you make of it. We learn about some of the technical aspects of real estate while studying for our license but it is in the practice of our trade from day to day that we really learn what is involved to not only be successful but to provide the service our sellers and purchasers deserve.